Brick, NJ – To date, more than 100 parties have expressed their interest in the redevelopment of the Township-owned Foodtown site on Route 70.
“When we announced that we were going to sell the Foodtown as a redevelopment site, we were confident that we would see some interest,” said Mayor Stephen C. Acropolis. “However, we didn’t expect to have over 100 different parties contact the Township.”
After counting all the inquiries, the Township had been contacted by 109 parties that expressed an interest in the redevelopment of the site. The Township is advertising request for proposals (RFP) for the redevelopment tomorrow. The RFP’s will be due to the Township by August 7.
The Township bought the Foodtown property in 2003 to stop the construction of a home warehouse store. The plan to build the store led to objections from residents and parishioners of an adjacent church. The Township paid $6.5 million for the site.
The Township Land Use Department worked in conjunction with Mayor Acropolis and the administration to create a redevelopment plan for the FoodTown site. By creating a redevelopment plan, the Township can have a greater say in what kind of development occurs on the property. Earlier this year, the Township Council approved the redevelopment plan for the site as an ordinance.
“For five years, the Township has owned the Foodtown and it looks no different today than it did on the day that we signed the contract. That is unacceptable,” said Mayor Acropolis. “That is why the Council and I are moving forward with this redevelopment plan that will get the property back on the tax rolls while ensuring that the Foodtown property is developed with the best interests of our community in mind.”
The Township expects to select a redeveloper this autumn and anticipates a June 2009 date for the beginning of the redevelopment work.